Monday, December 18, 2006

The Railroad


I just read my first comment. I previously overlooked him/her figuring it was my roommate telling me to get busy on the blog. I'd like to post the link to where he's selling t-shirts in honor of him being my first comment! Free Tibet T-Shirts

I wish I had this blog months ago so that I could write about the Qinghai - xizang (青藏鐵路 for those of you with Chinese characters) railway. Instead, I think I'll write about it as if it's July 1st, 2006 and just opened.

For years the Chinese government has been trying to build this railroad. Prior to its construction, people going in and out of Tibet would have to utilize either the small air traffic or the Qingzang highway. This isn't like driving to Wisconsin to see your family for Thanksgiving. From what I understand, it is a real adventure to drive up to the Tibetan plateau. Even flying can be dangerous - many people have been killed of asphyxiation as soon as they step off of the plane (real high elevation, less oxygen - yea you get it).

So enough of the background - this new railroad is going to set Tibetans back a great deal. According to the Chinese government website (which declares the opening of the railroad a glorious day) it would cost 400 yuan (50 USD) to take a bus along the qingzang highway. A flight could cost $1650 (206 USD). But now, a train ticket only costs 300 yuan or (37.5 USD). This is a huge problem for Tibetans. The difficult transportation to the area helped isolate the Tibetans even after their brutal annexation to China. Now, China is going to have no difficulty "bringing development" to the poorer western regions. In other words, China will have no difficulty aiding their own population problems by relocating Han farmers (largest Chinese ethnicity belonging to East and Southeast of China) to Tibet. Tibetans are already relegated to second-class citizens.

Not only is the further immigration of Chinese at stake, but the Chinese government now has much greater capacity to move soldiers in and out of Tibet. After murdering 1.2 million Tibetans, soldiers have grown tired and desire to go home. They will finally be able to return with the help of this new railroad. To supplant these murderers will be another huge batch of anxious young Chinese with itchy trigger fingers and brainwashed intolerance for the Tibetan way of life.

This railroad is devastating. I hope the perseverance of the Tibetan people has not grown tired.

住在火上的人,你会逍遥。

No comments: